Things You May Not Know About The Newly Crowned PFA Player of the Year, Mo Salah
Following an exceptional season with Liverpool, Mo Salah has become a household name among Premier League fans both in Egypt and abroad. The Egyptian winger has established himself quickly at Liverpool after putting his past failed experience at Chelsea behind him.
However, so many people may have become so acquainted with the goal scoring ability of the player, but not so many can describe his biography.
Below are some of the important things you need to know about Mohammed Salah
– Mohamed Salah was born on June 15, 1992, in Nagrig, Gharbia, Egypt, to average middle class parents.
– Mohamed wasn’t good at academics, which worried his parents
– He joined Swiss side Basel in 2012, winning the Swiss Super League twice during his time there
– In 2012, Salah married Maggi and the couple has a daughter, Makka. The little girl was born in London and has been christened after the Muslim holy city of Mecca
– Salah has played for Egypt since 2011. He played for them in the 2012 Summer Olympics
– Chelsea signed Salah from Swiss club, Basel in 2014 when he was just 22 years old
– Mohamed Salah is a devoted Muslim and after every goal, he performs sujood. His fans have reiterated that if Salah keeps scoring goals, they would convert to Islam
– His first club, El Mokawloon’ in Cairo was far away from his hometown that he had to take five buses to reach the academy
– In May 2010, at the age of 18, he was finally accepted into the senior team of his club
– In April 2012, signed a four year contract with Basel. He made his ‘UEFA Championship League’ debut in the same year and in the ‘Europa League
– Salah played an important role in Basel’s 2012-13 ‘Swiss Super League Championship’ victory, and a great performance in the Swiss Cup
– Salah’s performance for Basel against Chelsea in their Champions League encounter in 2013 prompted an interest from the English club
– Salah debuted for Premier League Chelsea in the ‘Premier League’ against ‘Newcastle United’ and scored his first goal against Arsenal in March
– Salah had a failed loan spell at Fiorentina before joining Roma for a second loan spell in Serie A
– In September 2015, ‘Fiorentina,’ miffed with Chelsea’s breach of contract, filed a case, but it was later settled and Salah stayed with ‘Roma
– By the end of 2015/16 season, Salah emerged out as the ‘Best Player’ of the Season and also the top scorer with 15 goals
– In June 2017, Salah became the first Egyptian to sign for Liverpool after club agreed a 35m pounds transfer fee with Roma
– His first hat trick for Liverpool came against Watford when he scored 4 goals in a 5-0 victory taking his tally to 36 in all competitions
– In the 2017 ‘Africa Cup of Nations,’ he turned out as one of the leading goal scorers and helped his team to the finals. He also earned a place in ‘CAF Team of the Tournament.
– During the 2018 ‘FIFA World Cup Qualifications,’ he was the top scorer for his team with five goals.
– In April 21, 2018, Mo Salah became the third African player to win the PFA Footballer of the year award after Mahrez and Kante won it in previous years
What do you think about African players making waves in the Premier League