The world cup in Russia will be kicking off in few hours and Russia will take on Saudi Arabia in the opening match of the competition (See schedule and fixtures).
On a day which ends the fasting period of the month of Ramadan, the match kicks off 4pm (BST) during which all or most of the Saudi Arabian players will be on fast.
Since 1994, Saudi Arabia have participated in four World Cup competitions, but missed out on the last two in South Africa (2010) and Brazil (2014).
Reviewing the country’s participation in World Cup, there are some interesting facts and stats to note.
- Games: Saudi Arabia have played 13 games in 4 World Cup competitions
- Progress: Saudi Arabia have only reached the Round of 16 once
- Goals: Saudi Arabia have scored a total 9 goals, scored by six different people
- Top Scorer: Sami Al Jaber is all time top scorer for Saudi Arabia in World Cup (3), having played 9 games.
- Worst Outing: In 2002, Saudi Arabia lost all three games, conceded 12 and scored none
- Worst Outing: In 2002, Saudi lost 8-0 in the German team in group stage