Lecturers are a crucial factor in student success. Every student wants to be in the good books of their lecturer because of fear of victimization and the resultant failure as a result. A lot of students go out of their way to build relationships with this figures and have actually not thoroughly examined the pros and cons of getting close to your lecturers.
In this article, we will be critically analyzing the pros and cons of getting close to lecturers and by the end of this piece, you will be well armed to make a decision.
The Pros of Getting Close To Your Lecturers
- Easy access to an explanation on areas you do not understand: No matter how mentally gifted you are as a student there will always be times where topics taught in class will not be clear. Having easy access to a lecturer who genuinely cares about your progress will be beneficial as he or she will give you access to notes, textbooks or even schedule a time to teach you
- Up to date information on class affairs: Most likely as a student close to your lecturer, you will definitely be getting first-hand information on assignments, tests, new classes and examinations. As result, you will be better equipped to excel in the coursework.
- Academic Growth: Once a lecturer is invested in you, they will try out everything within their power to ensure that you excel in school. This is a plus as it aptly executes your most important goal as a student in school which is academic success.
- They are a good source of sound advice: As young people, you will definitely face a lot of issues and it is important to have a matured mind with experience to show you the way. Your peers are not well equipped to advise you. With a lecturer, you are learning from an experienced and matured mind.
The Cons of Getting Close To Your Lecturers
- Risk of them hitting on you sexually: We all know about the reputation quite a number of lecturers have of hitting on students and sometimes getting close to them just might be walking straight into the lion’s den.
- High and unrealistic expectations: Due to your closeness with them, they might start having expectations of out the world things from you and if you fail your punishment might be graver than others who aren’t so close to them. Like they say, “from who much is given much is expected.”
- You just might turn to their personal assistant which will take its toll on your academic standing: Some lecturers have the habit of incessant sending of students on errands and it’s even worse if you are close to them as they feel entitled to it. You might start helping them mark assignments. They just even send you out during lectures and eventually, you’ll lose out on valuable time meant to be spent on your studies.
We have come to the end of this article. To make a decision based on the above, we will require you to critically analyse yourself, the lecturer in question and the kind of school you are in. Doing this will help you to make a well-informed decision.
Got any more pros and cons of getting close to your lecturers to share? Or Questions? Do share it in the comment section below.