Nigerians cherish great indulgences. They cherish belittling stuffs that will convey sense of self to their ways of life. Simply envision you attempting to shock your young lady companion and you chose to take her to a joint where she can settle with a plate of potato chips and barbecued fish, in certainty at whatever point she tries to abandon you, once she recollects that, she will reexamine.
In any case lets get to business, Potato chips and flame broiled fish is an exceptionally productive business. Envision offering a plate with potatoes and a fish for N500, averagely, a plate ought not cost you more than N150 in light of the fact that at that point, you will get your fixings in expansive amounts.
Get a place, it could be a rented shop
Get about 2 workers – A cook and a service person
Get a Grill
LEARN HOW TO MAKE TASTY GRILLED FISH
Nigerian Grilled fish is simply delicious. I love the way my mom prepares it; tasty, spicy and always on point .
The grilled fish recipe is very simple and the ingredients can be twisted to suit the available spices and seasonings in your kitchen pantry.
In Nigeria, we make use of Tilapia fish, but the recipe also works pretty well with any tasty fish. So let’s get cooking.
* Here’s a detailed video recipe on How to Prepare this Nigerian Grilled Fish
Ingredients for Nigerian Grilled fish
• 2 Whole Tilapia/Croaker/sea bream Fish(or any whole fish of choice)
• 1 tablespoonful ground Black pepper
• 1 tablespoonful thyme OR basil OR dried oregano(Optional but adds nice Herby taste &flavor)
• 1 tablespoonful ground kuli kuli or peanut butter (optional, but you’ll like the nutty taste…give it a try)
• 1 tablespoonful ground Red Chili pepper(or to suit your taste
• ½ teaspoon ginger powder (optional)
• 1 tablespoonful garlic powder/3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 bouillon /stock cube/seasoning cube (optional if you are MSG intolerant)
• ½ teaspoon curry powder(optional)
• 3 tablespoonful Vegetable Oil
• ½ teaspoon Salt to taste
Tip: Most of the spices listed here are optional, but the pepper, salt(or seasoning cubes) and oil are the most important ones, so feel free to combine all or a few of them to your taste.
1. Clean the fish in salted or lime water and remove the scales gills and gut.Rinse thoroughly and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, prepare the marinade by mixing all the ingredients together until well incorporated(Except the fish of course)
3. Next, Place the fish on a wide aluminum foil(wide enough to cover the fish properly) and with a sharpened knife make some slashes lengthwise on each fish. These slashes will help the marinade to penetrate into the fish and enhance the taste).
TIP: the number of slashes you make will depend on the size & lenght of the fish you are using.
4. Using a brush or your clean hands, rub the marinade mix on the fish and also inside the spaces made by the slashes. Make sure that the fish is well covered with the marinade. Then cover with the foil and leave in the fridge to rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
Tip: Another effective way to marinade is to dump the fish into a large Ziploc bag and pour the marinade into the bag. Shake rigorously , and leave to rest.