Congratulations! You are finally a graduate. Your real life is about to begin and there are so many things coming towards you. This is not the time to jump on every opportunity. This is the time to identify who you are, what you want and what is going to take you there. Then, you can plan and strategize. Here are six tips I believe all new graduates need to see.
1. Your course of study doesn’t necessarily define what you are to become in life: Do not limit your ideas and pursuits to what you studied. Most students studied courses out of desperation or choose them due to parental influence.
2. Do not judge the quality of your decisions by your friends because you don’t the future: All your friends are doing masters in a particular course or searching for a job a certain field or starting a business shouldn’t be your roadmap. Your life is different from theirs. Because you are not doing what the crowd is doing doesn’t mean you are failing or on the wrong part. The truth is, many people are going nowhere quickly.
3. Identify what you are passionate about and set goals to achieve it: To find out what you are passionate about, write out what you love, what you are good at and what people ask for your help on. There will most likely be an overlap among these things. Then, create a timeline for achieving it. Do not make the mistake of not putting a date to your dreams.
4. Get a job in the field that you have chosen or a related field: Now that you know what you want, the next thing is to get a food at the door of the industry you have chosen. If you can’t, get a related field. It is important to have a job. Don’t fall for the I am an entrepreneur drama, you need to learn how it’s done and you can’t learn quickly and effectively on your own. You also need to have a source of income to take care of yourself while chasing your dreams. Quit the dependent mentality!
5. Review your plans periodically and analyze all your actions: A lot of people make the mistake of not checking their goals regularly to see if they are on track. Most successful people are very real with themselves. They constantly analyze their lives and always try to be the best version of themselves.
6. Finally, brace yourself, for challenges will come: Your life might not be as lucky as others but the truth is, a lot of times people who go through the most always have the most glorious futures. A sky scrapper takes longer than a bungalow. Never fall under the competition or comparison mentality. Keep doing you!
How deeply did this resonate with you? Do you have further advice for new graduates? Share with us below.