These words and phrases in the Unilorin students dictionary can get a non-unilorite or fresher confused. This dictionary doesn’t follow alphabetical order rule, but it will keep you in the know.
- Maigida-BRT buses
- Korope-shuttle/minibus. It took me about 2weeks to fully grasp what people mean when they say “I entered korope.”
- Shunting– not staying in line. In Unilorin, it’s like a trend, because students practically have to queue for EVERYTHING. And no one wants to be last, so… We have different categories of shunters, they are:
- Experts- they always arrive home or get into the bus before those who have been in the queue for hours. They never get caught, hence, they deserve awards.
- Learners- haven’t mastered the art of begging and they usually get denied space or they get caught by officials.
Hypocrites- they shunt, but if they happen to be in a position to allow someone else shunt, that’s when you’ll hear: “Ahn ahn brother/sister na wa o. Is shunting not a sin? I can’t let you stay in front of me fa! I’ve been here for a long time, and you’re just coming.”
Face Tanke – go back the way you came; go home.
Synonyms: expulsion, rusticated, re-write JAMB.
Fa – a Kwara state idiosyncrasy. Synonyms: “joor” “oo,” “jare”
Torh – (not Thor Ragnarok oo) as if to say “suit yourself” or “whatever” or “Okay oo” depending on the situation/conversation.
Synonyms: Okay, Alright.
Scholar – normally, this refers to a person who is well knowledgeable in their field of study. In Unilorin, it means the same thing; someone who “knows book” even if you’re a crammer or just appear to be intelligent, or probably because people see you reading a lot, next thing you’ll hear is: “scholar!” Sometimes it may be said sarcastically.
Synonyms: ITK (I Too Know), brainiac, nerd.
Stuff: this one is peculiar to UITH (University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital) students.
Types of stuffs:
- hyperstuffinemia – when you’re intelligent. In essence, “you’re so full of stuff.”
- Lack-of-stuff: when you’re an ‘olodo’; you don’t know stuff.
- Toxic: when the stuff you know/say isn’t relevant to a conversation or question.
Unilorin Students and non-students, Which did you find hilarious or weird?
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!