Common Food that Boost Eye Sight and Prevent Blindness
The eye is the organ of sight and vision, it’s a very delicate organ and should be protected. Lack of proper care of the eye can lead to partial or total blindness. There are some Vitamins that can improve eye health and help prevent blindness, Macular Degeneration (AMD), cataract and other eye illness. Such vitamins can be included in diets for people with existing eye problems or damages this will help prevent further deterioration, it will also improve their sight, vision and eye health. Vitamins that are essential in improving a healthy eye includes:
1. VITAMIN A: Vitamin A is very important for good vision and immunity, it can also reduce the risk of eye infection. Lack of this vitamin can lead to blindness because, the Retina which combines with Opsin(a protein) to form Rhodopsin needs Vitamin A to function. Rhodopsin also known as “Visual Purple” is necessary for colour vision and also enables vision in low-light. According to UNICEF, Vitamin A deficiency is a leading cause of preventable blindness in children under the age of five. Food rich in Vitamin A include, Carrots, sweet potato, Red pepper, kale, spinach, egg yolk, tuna fish, mango, cantaloupe, dried apricot, and lots more
2. VITAMIN E: Vitamin E (tocopherols and tocotrienols) is a fat soluble vitamin and also a powerful antioxidant. Vitamin E reduce the production of free radicals and protect tissues from oxidative stress (damage). Because vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant it protects the eyes against oxidative stress. Alpha tocopherol also help reduce the risk of cataracts, Food rich in vitamin E include, sunflower oil, almond, wheat germ, hazelnuts, peanuts, butter, olive oil, almond oil, avocado, spinach and many more.
3. VITAMIN C: Vitamin C also known as Ascorbic acid is essential in healing, tissue repair and it’s also a powerful antioxidant. Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin essential in collagen synthesis, collagen is found in the cornea and cornea is involved in the focussing power of the eye. According to research, Vitamin C can reduce the risk of Cataract. Food rich in this vitamin C include, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, kiwi, orange, papaya, broccoli, strawberry and so many more.
4. LUTEIN: Lutein is a carotenoid and therefore an antioxidant. Lutein is found in the macular portion of the eyes, because it’s an antioxidant, it protects the eyes and fight against free radicals. Lutein is also useful in the treatment of Cataract, food rich in lutein include, kale, collard greens, spinach, turnip greens, broccoli, corn, egg, green beans, papaya, orange and so on.
5. ZINC: Zinc is also important for good eyesight and immunity. Food rich in zinc include, lobster, yoghurt, beef, pork, oyster, cashew, baked bean, fortified cereals and many more.