WhatsApp over time has become one of the most popular free messaging app with which more than 1 billion people in over 180 countries are using to stay in touch with friends and family, but there are features most people don’t know about. There are still some important Whatsapp features you may need to learn about.
WhatsApp is constantly tweaking and adding new features to aid for a hitch free messaging experience.
Here are Ten Important WhatsApp Features You May Not Know.
1. Whatsapp Web: This means instead of constantly divided your time between your computer and your mobile phone to be checking your messages you Use WhatsApp on your computer by simply connecting your phone.
You can either download the app to your computer or just use the browser version.
To use WhatsApp Web go to web.whatsapp.com on your computer and Settings > WhatsApp Web on your phone. Scan the QR code displayed on your desktop screen using your phone’s camera.
2. Documents Sharing:You can Send PDFs, documents, spreadsheets, slideshows and more, without the hassle of email or file sharing apps.
To do that just tap on the icon that looks like an office clip on pin and select documents.
You can send documents up to 100 MB, so it’s easy to get what you need over to who you want.
3. Capture and photos /videos instantly:Aside from the file transfer of photos and videos you can even capture with built-in camera and send.
To do this tap the on the icon that looks like an office clip on pin then select ‘Camera’. Then long hold the cycle at the bottom (for android phones) to start recording. The cycle turns red and a timer appears at the top of your screen.
4. Formatting: Bold, Italics, Strikethrough: WhatsApp allows you to format your text by adding symbols in front of and after words to achieve a level of aesthetics or emphasis. You can format to bold, italics, and strike through.
For BOLD add asterisks ” * ” to either side of a word or sentence.
For Italics start and end the message with underscores “_”.
For strikethrough text add tildes at the beginning and end of the word.
5. Frequent person(s) you chat with:You can find out who among your contact you chat with most. For android go to Settings > Chat > Chat History > Email Chat to view you most chat up contacts.
For iphone Go to Settings > Data and Storage Use > Storage Use.
6. Track your whatsapp activities statistics: To know the number of messages received, sent, status, data consumed and other such statistics go to Setting> Data Usage > Network Usage.
You can also reset this statistics and limit the amount of data you use In the Data Usage menu by ticking the box.
7. Whatsapp group: Stop and Mute notifications:If you belong to some overzealous whatsapp group and it keeps getting you distracted you can mute it.
Go to open the group > select menu (three dot at top right)> choose duration from options. You can also stop notifications using this same step just un-tick the box
8. Read messages without blue ticks:In Whatsapp one tick means message sent, two tick messages received/delivered, blue tick message read.
If you don’t want to let your contact know you have read their messages go to menu> settings>accounts> privacy > untick read receipts.
At this place for android users you can also modify your last seen, who see your profile photos etc.
9. Quick hack for read messages:Referring to number 8 if you deactivate your read receipts you also cannot see when they read your message.
So to eat your cake and still have it without having to deactivate your read receipt, once you have received the messages you want to read without letting them know, put your phone on airplane mode. Go to whatsapp, read the messages, when you are done close it then turn –off your airplane mode.
10. Stop auto download of media files:To conserve data and or storage space you can stop incoming pictures and videos automatically saving to your phone just go to Settings -> Chats -> turn off Save Incoming Media.